Turkey and White Bean Chili
Unless a chili is thickened with a flour-base, most chili is naturally gluten-free. This recipe is one of them—made with dark-meat turkey, beans, green chiles, and loaded with vegetables. Top this turkey and white bean chili with toppings like red onion, jalapeño, and avocado for a bowl bursting with flavor.
This recipe was provided by Kristine Kidd, author of Weeknight Gluten-Free.
Makes 4-6 servings
Olive oil, 1 tablespoon
Large yellow onion, 1, finely chopped
Large red bell pepper, 1, chopped
Large clove garlic, 1, minced (optional)
Red pepper flakes, 1⁄2 teaspoon
Ground cumin, 2 teaspoons
Ground dark-meat turkey, 1 lb (500 g)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cannellini beans, 2 cans (15 oz/470 g each), liquid drained and reserved
Gluten-free chicken broth, 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml)
Diced green chilies, 2 cans (4 oz/145 g each)
Heavy cream, 1/3 cup (3 fl oz/80 ml)
Dried marjoram, 1 teaspoon
Fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped for garnish
Toppings of your choice such as finely chopped red onion, minced red jalapeño, diced peeled avocado
How To Make It
- In a heavy large pot over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, if using, and pepper flakes and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the cumin and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the turkey and sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink, breaking up the meat with a spoon, about 4 minutes.
- Add the beans and 2/3 cup (5 fl oz/160 ml) of their liquid to the pot along with the broth, green chiles, cream, and marjoram. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and simmer to blend the flavors, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes; thin with more bean liquid, if desired.
- Taste the chili and adjust the seasoning. Spoon into warmed bowls and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve right away with the toppings in bowls alongside.
More content from Recipes
- – 15 Foods That Just Taste Better in the South
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 30 Healthy Stuffed Chicken Recipes to Make Tonight
- – 21 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)
- – Honey Butter Whiskey Scallops Recipe
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – Pork Chops with Maple Rye Glaze Recipe
- – 5 Best Recipes to Help Lower Blood Sugar, Says Dietitian