Tomato & Watermelon Salad Recipe
Nothing says summer's coming quite like fresh watermelon and tomatoes. Toss the two together in this lycopene-packed salad, which comes to us straight from David Danielson, Executive Chef for Churchill Downs Racetrack. Just like a festive picnic with the ones you love, Chef David's tomato and watermelon salad is full of good things.
4 small heirloom tomatoes (assorted colors optional), cored and cut into ¾-inch chunks
1 small English or regular cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into ¾-inch cubes
¼ cup sliced red onion
1 cup ¾-inch cubed red seedless watermelon flesh
1 tablespoon chopped mixed fresh herbs, in any combinations: basil, and mint
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon, red onion and herbs. Toss gently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the tomato mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.
Thirsty for a better-for-you cocktail to sip alongside this pretty summer salad? Check out Lipton's healthier twist on the classic julep in this orange blossom julep recipe.
More content from Recipes
- – 15 Foods That Just Taste Better in the South
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 21 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)
- – Honey Butter Whiskey Scallops Recipe
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – Pork Chops with Maple Rye Glaze Recipe
- – 5 Best Recipes to Help Lower Blood Sugar, Says Dietitian
- – 4 Healthy Snack Recipes to Manage Diabetes, According to a Dietitian