These Beloved Coca-Cola Products Are Quietly Becoming Scarce
Is Coca-Cola discontinuing a number of fan-favorite beverages? This is a burning question on many consumers' minds as Twitter is abuzz about shortages of certain Coca-Cola products.
Drinks that are currently missing from the grocery shelves are Pibb X-tra, Fresca, cherry Coke, vanilla Coke, and caffeine-free Coke, among others.
According to information relayed during an earnings call last week, the company has been dealing with a lag in shipments due to a bottleneck of orders at the start of the pandemic. This means that the shortage of some of Coke's brands is only temporary.
Another factor that could play into canned sodas becoming scarce at the grocery store is the shortage of aluminum cans, which is due to a higher consumption of sodas and beers at home during the pandemic.
But like many other food companies, Coca-Cola has been trimming their portfolio of brands in recent months, in order to focus on their best-selling lines. So you may, in fact, have to say goodbye to some of their products for good.
In June, the soda giant announced they will be discontinuing their line of Odwalla smoothies, and according to CEO James Quincey, the cuts won't stop there. The plan is to discontinue some of the smaller brands (explorers) that have not achieved success and are unlikely to do so in the future. Quincey noted the smaller brands account for over 50% of the company's portfolio but only generate around 2% of revenue.
Coca-Cola is still experiencing a 25% decline in operating income due to the pandemic, and sees a solution in phasing out unprofitable brands to focus on their best-sellers.
Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest grocery and food news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Groceries
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots