Supplements You're Spending Too Much Money On, Says Dietitian
If you've ever been so busy throughout the week that you don't have time for your regular health routine, taking supplements can help you get some of the crucial nutrients that you may have missed. Unfortunately, it's sometimes hard to tell which supplements are worth buying, and which ones are a waste of your money.
Read on, and for more on how to eat healthy, don't miss 7 Healthiest Foods to Eat Right Now.
Most people reach for vitamin E supplements to smooth out their skin or slow cellular aging. And although vitamin E does contain antioxidants that can benefit your health, D'Angelo says that taking a supplement will not give you enough of the vitamin for its benefits to actually kick in.
"A research study showed that doses below 400 IU are ineffective and don't work, and large doses of vitamin E can actually end up doing more harm than good," Says D'Angelo.
Because of this, she suggests getting your antioxidants through fruits and veggies on a daily basis.
D'Angelo warns that fat-burning supplements, which can add up to around $50-$60 per bottle or more, are essentially just a waste of your money.
"Supplements like these are designed to increase calorie burning or fat metabolism for a short period of time, not the long haul," says D'Angelo, "so if you really want to lose weight, burn fat, and tone your body, it's more beneficial to invest in the right diet, mindset, and exercise program instead."
Garcinia Cambogia has become a popular weight loss supplement because of an acid it contains called HCA. According to D'Angelo, HCA is supposed to enhance fat oxidation and suppress appetite, but there isn't much proof that it's actually effective, according to information provided by Operation Supplement Safety of the U.S. Department of Defense.
"The better Garcinia Cambogia supplements are priced at around $40 per bottle, but the truth is that there's no magic weight loss pill out there — you're better off spending your money on healthier foods to incorporate into your diet.
Read these next:
More content from Healthy Eating
- – The #1 Best Supplement for Preventing and Treating Arthritis, New Study Suggests
- – Surprising Side Effects of Taking Melatonin Supplements, Says Science
- – This Highly Recommended Supplement May Damage Your Heart as You Age, New Study Finds
- – This Supplement Combination May Help Reduce Risk of Cancer, Says Study
- – The Surprising Benefit This Supplement Has On Your Kidneys, Says New Study
- – The Best Supplement For Bigger and Stronger Muscles, New Study Suggests
- – These Supplements Contain Dangerous Hidden Ingredients, the FDA Warns
- – The #1 Best Supplement to Keep Your Eyes Sharp, Say Dietitians