A Starbucks Barista Earned Over $50,000 in Tips for Doing This One Thing
A woman posted about Lenin Gutierrez on Facebook saying he wouldn't take her order because she wasn't wearing a protective face mask. She ended the post by saying "Next time I will wait for cops and bring a medical exemption."
The post went viral, with some people pledging their support for the woman. However, a GoFundMe was set up in order to back Gutierrez in the form of a big tip. "Raising money for Lenin for his honorable effort standing his ground when faced with a Karen in the wild," it says on the campaign's page that was posted on Tuesday, June 23.
As of late Friday, June 26, over $55,000 has been raised for the Starbucks barista, and the total keeps climbing. Lenin, who also is a kids's dance teacher, posted on Facebook expressing gratitude for the support he has received since the original post was shared.
According to its website, Starbucks is requiring workers to wear masks and have their temperature checked before each shift. In terms of requirements for customers, that varies based on the state the Starbucks location is in. California is currently requiring facemasks in all public settings, which includes inside one of the coffee chain's locations.
Almost 15 states have made masks in public mandatory, according to Newsweek. They include Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Washington.
The iconic coffee chain was also in the news earlier this week for announcing the arrival of the Impossible Breakfast Sandwich made from plant-based sausage. Other menu additions include Cold Brew with Cinnamon Almond Milk Foam and Cold Brew with Dark Cocoa Almond Milk Foam. New low-calorie cold brew options just in time for summer? Sign us up!
More content from Restaurants
- – Two Popular Burger Chains Are Now Serving This New Meaty Menu
- – Chick-fil-A Just Added a New Sweet Treat To the Menu
- – 8 Major Restaurant Chains With a Bad Reputation
- – America's Top Three Burger Chains Are Being Sued For Deceiving Customers
- – This Popular Steakburger Chain Just Expanded to Two New States
- – McDonald's Has a New Summer Treat on the Menu
- – This Is the Fastest Growing Restaurant Chain in America, New Data Shows
- – This Popular Cafe Chain Is Launching Justin Bieber's Favorite Iced Coffee