Socca with Curried Cauliflower and Spinach
Socca, a flat unleavened pancake originally from France, can be transformed into a delicious pizza—with the right kind of toppings. Some of our favorites include a curried cauliflower and spinach to turn this chickpea-based dish into a delicious dinner. Plus with the raisins, lime juice, and cilantro, this socca is packed with adventurous flavors that you're going to love.
Recipe development by Sue Hoss.
1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1 cup water
4 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups small cauliflower florets
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
2 tsp. mild curry powder
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups fresh spinach
1 cup canned unsweetened light coconut milk
1 cup no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1/3 cup golden raisins
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
Chopped fresh cilantro
How to Make It
- For the socca, in a bowl combine flour, the water, 1 Tbsp. of the oil, and the salt. Let batter stand 1 hour at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil over medium-high. Add cauliflower, onion, curry powder, ginger, and garlic. Cook about 8 minutes or until onion is soft and cauliflower browns slightly, stirring often.
- Add spinach, coconut milk, chickpeas, and raisins; cook just until spinach is wilted, then add lime juice. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Set oven rack in top third of oven. Preheat broiler. Preheat a 10-inch ovenproof skillet (preferably cast iron) in oven 10 minutes. Carefully remove skillet from oven. Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. oil to skillet, swirling to coat. Pour socca batter into skillet, return to oven, and broil 5 to 8 minutes or until edges are set and pull away from sides of skillet and the socca is lightly browned on top.
- Spoon warm cauliflower mixture onto socca and sprinkle with cilantro. Cut into wedges. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
Sign up for our newsletter to get even more recipe ideas straight to your inbox.
More content from Recipes
- – 15 Foods That Just Taste Better in the South
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 21 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)
- – Honey Butter Whiskey Scallops Recipe
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – Pork Chops with Maple Rye Glaze Recipe
- – 5 Best Recipes to Help Lower Blood Sugar, Says Dietitian
- – Carrot Cake Energy Bites