This Is the Secret Way Queen Elizabeth II Eats Her Burgers
Darren McGrady was the chef at Buckingham Palace from 1982 until 1993, so aside from the royal family, he knows about the Queen's dietary preferences better than anyone. Recently, he revealed to Insider that the Queen never preferred burgers in the traditional sense. (Related: Burgers From This Beloved Restaurant Chain Are Now Cheaper Than Ever).
"It always tickled me at Balmoral, we would make our own burgers," McGrady said to Insider, in reference to the royal family's summer vacation home in Scotland. He added that they would make venison burgers stuffed with cranberry and other delicious ingredients, however, buns were not once apart of the spread.
"They would have burgers, but not the buns. So they would eat it with their knife and fork," he said.
McGrady even said that in the rare event she would ask for takeout, she would request the bun be removed from those burgers as well. So, why does the Queen seem to have an aversion to hamburger buns? Hint: It's not that she doesn't like them, it's actually because…"Her Majesty's Victorian upbringing dictates that the only thing you would pick up and eat with your fingers is afternoon tea," McGrady said.
Another shocking thing the former chef disclosed about her Majesty is that she never asked for pizza in the 11 years McGrady worked at the palace.
"The menus at Buckingham Palace are very traditional French, which wouldn't lean towards having pizza on it," said McGrady.
"The Queen's a chocoaholic," says McGrady in the video from Delish. "She loves chocolate. Anything on the menu that we used to prepare at the palace that had chocolate in, she'd always approve and it would go to the royal table."
For more, check out 15 Classic American Desserts That Deserve a Comeback.
More content from Healthy Eating
- – This Eating Habit Can Significantly Improve Your Gut Health, Says New Study
- – This Popular Grocery Item Is Linked to Foodborne Illness, Says New Study
- – 4 Meat Companies With the Worst Food Quality Practices
- – The #1 Best Supplement for Preventing and Treating Arthritis, New Study Suggests
- – The #1 Worst Milk That Makes Your Brain Age Faster, Says New Study
- – The #1 Eating Habit to Reduce the Effects of Stress as You Age, New Research Finds
- – Eating These Foods Regularly May Help Prevent Dementia, New Study Finds
- – This Common Food Can Reach Consumers Even If "Dangerously Contaminated" With Salmonella