Roast Chicken and Vegetables with Fall Spices
There's something about the smell of roasting chicken, potatoes, and butternut squash that make you nostalgic for fall. It reminds you of crisp fall days, huddled up with sweaters, sipping on a cup of warm soup, and enjoying a flavorful roast. This roast chicken with vegetables is naturally gluten-free and low in calories.
This recipe was provided by Kristine Kidd, author of Weeknight Gluten-Free.
Makes 4 servings
Chicken pieces, 2 3/4–3 lb (1.25 kg–1.5 kg)
Olive oil, 3 tablespoons
Sweet paprika, 2 teaspoons
Ground coriander, 2 teaspoons
Ground cumin, 2 teaspoons
Red pepper flakes, 3/4 teaspoon
Lemon zest, grated from 1 large lemon
Kosher salt, 1 teaspoon, plus more as needed
Freshly ground black pepper
Butternut squash pieces, 1 package (14–16 oz/440–500 g)
Fingerling potatoes, 1 lb (500 g), halved lengthwise
How To Make It
- Position a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Pat the chicken dry, and place in a large bowl; add 2 tablespoons of the oil and turn to coat. In a small bowl, mix the paprika, coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture for the vegetables; add the remainder to the chicken. Add 1 teaspoon salt and a generous amount of black pepper to the chicken and turn to coat. Arrange the chicken, skin side up, on half of a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Place the squash and potatoes in the same bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, season lightly with salt and black pepper, and toss to coat. Add the reserved spice mixture, and toss to coat. Arrange the vegetables on the second half of the baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a warmed platter or 4 warmed plates and serve right away.
More content from Recipes
- – 15 Foods That Just Taste Better in the South
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 30 Healthy Stuffed Chicken Recipes to Make Tonight
- – 21 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)
- – Honey Butter Whiskey Scallops Recipe
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – Pork Chops with Maple Rye Glaze Recipe
- – 5 Best Recipes to Help Lower Blood Sugar, Says Dietitian