Gluten-Free Oven-Fried Chicken with Baby Spinach Salad
A quality gluten-free breadcrumb mix really can go a long way! This chicken is oven "fried", which essentially means you roast it in the oven until the chicken is crispy. Served with a fresh spinach salad, this oven-fried chicken is the perfect gluten-free alternative to the beloved fried chicken.
This recipe was provided by Kristine Kidd, author of Weeknight Gluten-Free.
Makes 4-6 servings
Olive oil, 1⁄4 cup (2 fl oz/60 ml), plus more as needed
Gluten-free tortilla chips, 1 bag (5 1/2 oz /170 g) (I like Food Should Taste Good Multigrain chips)
Dried marjoram, 1 teaspoon, crumbled
Ground cumin, 1 teaspoon
Cayenne pepper, 1 1/4 teaspoon
Chicken pieces, 3 1/2 lb (1.75 kg)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Fresh lime juice, 2 tablespoons
Baby spinach, 4–6 oz (125–185 g)
Cherry tomatoes, 1 pint (12 oz/375 g), halved
How To Make It
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Brush a large rimmed baking sheet with oil. Meanwhile, in a food processor, grind the tortilla chips finely and transfer to a pie plate. Mix in the marjoram, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Brush the chicken on all sides generously with oil, and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the crumb mixture, 2 pieces at a time, and turn to coat on all sides, pressing into the crumbs to help them adhere. Arrange the pieces skin side up on the baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and roast until the crust is brown and the chicken is cooked through—about 35 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes to crisp.
- In a small bowl, place the lime juice. Gradually whisk in the 1⁄4 cup olive oil to make a vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper. In a salad bowl, combine the spinach and tomatoes. Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Divide the chicken and salad among plates and serve.
More content from Recipes
- – 15 Foods That Just Taste Better in the South
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 30 Healthy Stuffed Chicken Recipes to Make Tonight
- – 21 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)
- – Honey Butter Whiskey Scallops Recipe
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – Pork Chops with Maple Rye Glaze Recipe
- – 5 Best Recipes to Help Lower Blood Sugar, Says Dietitian