Exactly How Olivia Munn Scorched 12 Pounds
Here's how fruits, veggies, and sword fighting helped "X-Men" star Olivia Munn achieve weight loss success!
Not only is Olivia Munn—who plays mutant slayer Psylocke in "X-Men" this summer—super talented and annoyingly good looking, she's also leaner than ever. While filming "Apocalypse" (which premieres on May 27), she unexpectedly dropped 12 pounds! (You can check out her bod on the first and final days of filming in the Instagram snap below.) Her secret? A special diet she calls "20-80," where 80 percent of her daily calories come from fruits and vegetables and the remaining 20 percent is fair game for whatever her taste buds desire. This tactic, coupled with six to seven hours of daily sword fighting and martial arts training, helped her boost her metabolism and melt the pounds.
Unfortunately, not all of us have six hours to devote to Taekwondo on the daily—but don't let that discourage you. Lucky for us non-superhero actors, there's something we're all very capable of doing to blast some of that unwanted belly fat: eat more plants. It's really that simple—and no, you don't have to become a vegan or a vegetarian to reap the benefits. A great way to kickstart your own plant-based diet is to take part in Meatless Monday. Studies confirm that people who eat a plant-heavy diet are leaner than those who follow a conventional diet. Better yet, you can fill your plate with lots of delicious food so you shouldn't feel deprived. Want to eat three bowls of spinach? Go for it. With each cup clocking in at about 7 calories, you won't have to worry about scooping too much onto your plate. Fruits and vegetables are also extraordinarily nutrient-dense and rich in antioxidants, which help ward off infections and illnesses. For example, just one cup of spinach provides 957 percent of your daily vitamin K needs, a nutrient that is vital for maintaining strong bones. Impressive stuff!
Now that Munn has finished filming, she's no longer as active or strict with her "20-80" rule. She does, however, strive to eat plenty of organic produce each day to maintain her trim figure year round. To find out what other celebrities are doing to keep their physiques in check, read up on these 30 Skinny Secrets from the World's Sexiest Women!
More content from Weight Loss
- – Best Eating Habits from 7 People Who Successfully Lost Belly Fat
- – 19 Weight Loss Foods That Really Work, Say Experts
- – 6 Ways Eating Quinoa Helps You Lose Weight, Say Dietitians
- – 5 Best Dessert Habits to Lose Belly Fat, Say Dietitians
- – The Worst Foods for Your Body, According to Science
- – 9 High-Protein Breakfast Ideas to Help You Lose Weight
- – This Popular Diet Doesn't Actually Work, Says New Study
- – 7 Best Breakfasts with Fruit to Shrink Belly Fat, Say Dietitians