This Cult-Favorite Southern Burger Chain Is Opening 30 New Locations
The beloved Southern burger chain Whataburger is undergoing a growth spurt. After the chain announced it will be adding new company-owned restaurants in Tennessee and Kansas City last year, and that it will begin franchising its restaurants for the first time in 20 years, it was clear the company was ready to kick its reach up a notch.
And the plan is working out well for residents of Kansas and Missouri, two states that will now be richer by a combined total of 30 new Whataburger locations. The chain is partnering with investors from KMO Burger to bring the popular burger experience to Kansas City, Wichita, and St. Joseph, among others, for the first time ever.
While the announced openings will take about seven years to complete, the first two restaurants will open as early as the second half of 2022 in Kansas City—one on Highway 152 & North Booth Ave. and one at 400 NW Barry Road.
In fact, it's Kansas City's quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes that's one of the investors behind this expansion. As part of KMO Burgers, Mahomes said he's honored to bring his beloved Whataburger to his adopted hometown.
"I love Kansas City and I love Whataburger," he said in a press release. "I'm excited to help bring a gift from my first home to my second home."
However, fans in Kansas and Missouri will get to enjoy the burger joint before 2022. The chain's corporate expansion is still very much on track and will soon yield locations in Overland Park, Lee's Summit, Independence, and Blue Springs, which are opening this fall as planned.
Along with the expansion, the chain plans on making their new locations more environmentally friendly and better looking.
For more, check out:
- America's Second-Biggest Burger Chain Plans to Open 700 New Locations
- McDonald's Is Trying Out a New "Sweet" Burger
- This American Pizza Chain Is Now Officially the Largest One In the World
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 8 Bizarre Rules Taco Bell Employees Have to Follow
- – Two Popular Burger Chains Are Now Serving This New Meaty Menu
- – Chick-fil-A Just Added a New Sweet Treat To the Menu
- – We Tried 7 Fast-Food Fries & These Are the Best!
- – 8 Major Restaurant Chains With a Bad Reputation
- – America's Top Three Burger Chains Are Being Sued For Deceiving Customers
- – This Popular Steakburger Chain Just Expanded to Two New States
- – McDonald's Has a New Summer Treat on the Menu