At Least 21 People Are Sick After Eating This Trader Joe's Item, CDC Says
Twenty-one people have been confirmed sick from Salmonella after eating Citterio brand salami sticks, according to a food safety warning from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The salami sticks are commonly sold in Trader Joe's and Wegmans grocery stores but they may be in other retailers as well.
So far, the illnesses span across eight states: California, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, and Kansas. Six people have been hospitalized since the outbreak began in September. However, the CDC warned that the true number of people impacted is likely higher because many people recover from Salmonella without medical intervention and never get tested.
The CDC connected the outbreak to Citterio brand salami sticks after interviewing people confirmed sick with Salmonella. Of the 15 people interviewed, all but one reported having consumed or possibly consumed the salami.
Common symptoms of Salmonella are a fever, stomach cramps, and diarrhea. The CDC recommends that people call their healthcare provider if they think they are experiencing severe Salmonella symptoms.
The CDC warns grocers like Trader Joe's not to sell the salami snacks as a result of the outbreak. Additionally, consumers are encouraged to throw away all Citterio salami sticks regardless of the sell-by date and to wash items and containers that came in contact with the product.
For more info about grocery store foods, read these next:
- Walmart Is Recalling This Item After Two Deaths Were Reported
- 20 Ways Your Grocery Store Makes You Sick
- These Four Foods Are Being Recalled Due to Contamination
- This Restaurant-Related Salmonella Outbreak Keeps Getting Worse and Spreading to More States
And to get all the latest food safety news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – The Best Yogurt To Lower Your Cholesterol, Dietitians Say
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again