This is America's #1 Favorite Organic Food in Grocery Stores
The pandemic shook up everyone's grocery list, and ever since then, organic foods have been on the rise. After a year of record sales, we know exactly what America's favorite organic food is — and you won't find it with the fruits and vegetables.
Since cooking, working, and staying home have been the themes of the past year, it makes sense that the easier breakfast, lunch, or dinner is, the better. And so it comes to no surprise that pre-packaged salads are the organic food that shoppers are reaching for the most. The category brought in $385 million this January through March, according to the Organic Produce Network, and beat out organic berries, apples, herbs and spices, and carrots to round out the top 5.
The salad sales jump of about 9.5% during the first of this year compared to January through March 2020 mirrors what all organic sales did all of last year…and years before. In 2019, total sales of organic food topped $55.1 billion.
At the beginning of 2020 (like most other things before the pandemic) it was also trending up, but once lockdowns were issued and panic grocery buying started, organic food sales skyrocketed by 50%, according to the Organic Trade Association. All of the top organic foods are also outpacing regular produce sales, which rose only 2.9% from January to March, according to Supermarket News.
If all this news is leaving you intrigued but you don't know where to start when buying organic, here's the difference between non-GMO and organic. Plus, here's the fruits and vegetables you should definitely buy organic.
To get all the latest grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – The Best Yogurt To Lower Your Cholesterol, Dietitians Say
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again