This Restaurant-Related Salmonella Outbreak Keeps Getting Worse and Spreading to More States
The salmonella outbreak believed to be spreading via restaurants is growing in scope, but authorities still can't pinpoint its exact origin.
As many as 419 people in 35 states have now been infected since June, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). And it looks like the spread is nowhere near over as the number of patients grew by 140 since September 23, and new cases have appeared in six additional states. As many as 66 of those infected were hospitalized.
States with the highest number of cases are Texas, Oklahoma, and Virginia:
- Alabama 1
- Arkansas 8
- California 6
- Connecticut 4
- Florida 5
- Georgia 2
- Illinois 28
- Indiana 1
- Iowa 1
- Kansas 9
- Kentucky 9
- Louisiana 4
- Maryland 22
- Massachusetts 10
- Michigan 6
- Minnesota 20
- Mississippi 2
- Missouri 5
- Nebraska 6
- New Jersey 5
- New Mexico 8
- New York 3
- North Carolina 7
- North Dakota 2
- Ohio 5
- Oklahoma 63
- Oregon 1
- Pennsylvania 4
- South Carolina 2
- South Dakota 7
- Tennessee 2
- Texas 111
- Utah 2
- Virginia 38
- Wisconsin 10
The CDC and the FDA have been investigating the outbreak since early September and found subclusters of infected people who ate at restaurants in multiple states before falling ill. While the agencies recently announced that the strain of Salmonella causing the outbreak was found in a restaurant's takeout container, no definitive culprit has been identified so far.
"The outbreak strain of Salmonella Oranienburg was found in a sample taken from a takeout condiment cup containing cilantro and lime," the CDC said. "The sick person reported that the condiment container also contained onions, but none were left in the cup when it was tested."
There's no information on the name or location of the restaurant where the condiment cup originated, nor how many restaurants nationwide may be affected.
The CDC also noted that the number of those infected is likely even higher and is expected to grow in the coming weeks.
For more, check out:
- This Is The #1 Most Surprising Source of Food Poisoning, CDC Says
- This Popular Aldi Chicken Caused a Food Poisoning Outbreak in 6 States, CDC Says
- These Two Serious Nationwide Food Recalls Were Just Announced
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 8 Bizarre Rules Taco Bell Employees Have to Follow
- – Two Popular Burger Chains Are Now Serving This New Meaty Menu
- – Chick-fil-A Just Added a New Sweet Treat To the Menu
- – We Tried 7 Fast-Food Fries & These Are the Best!
- – 8 Major Restaurant Chains With a Bad Reputation
- – America's Top Three Burger Chains Are Being Sued For Deceiving Customers
- – This Popular Steakburger Chain Just Expanded to Two New States
- – McDonald's Has a New Summer Treat on the Menu