This Iconic Taco Bell Location Is Closing After 54 Years
With more than 7,000 nationwide locations, Taco Bell is one of the most widespread fast-food brands in the country. So when one of the Mexican chain's locations closes, the news isn't necessarily noteworthy. Not so with Taco Bell's recent closure, which will put one of its oldest and most iconic restaurants out of business.
According to SFGATE.com, Orange County's oldest Taco Bell restaurant, located in Laguna Beach, shut down last week after 54 years in business. Located at 669 South Coast Highway, it was the chain's third oldest location in the world and one of the last remaining stores featuring the brand's vintage original design with stucco arches and a tiled roof, meant to resemble a Spanish Mission house.
The outlet reported that the reason behind the restaurant's closure is the expiration of its original lease which was declined for renewal by the landlord. Instead, the building will now house a different Mexican joint—California-based chain restaurant Taco Stand.
The Laguna Beach Taco Bell's owner Steven Smith took to Facebook to thank his loyal customers for their business over the years and expressed some frustration about the city's alleged refusal to acknowledge the value the chain brings to its middle-class residents.
"Hopefully some day when leadership changes in Laguna Beach government the city will embrace national chains that bring value to middle class citizens that live in Laguna Beach along with city workers and tourists that need valued priced meals," Smith wrote. "Taco Bell will be able to return. Not everyone lives in million dollar homes like most if not all the current city council. Unfortunately their housekeepers, gardeners & other workers will need to spend there money in other cities for lunch & dinner."
For more, check out:
- Taco Bell Is Finally Kicking Off Its New Sauce Packet Initiative
- Taco Bell's New Crispy Chicken Sandwich Taco Is Getting Rave Reviews
- Taco Bell Just Made This Major Announcement About Its Menu
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 8 Bizarre Rules Taco Bell Employees Have to Follow
- – Two Popular Burger Chains Are Now Serving This New Meaty Menu
- – Chick-fil-A Just Added a New Sweet Treat To the Menu
- – We Tried 7 Fast-Food Fries & These Are the Best!
- – 8 Major Restaurant Chains With a Bad Reputation
- – America's Top Three Burger Chains Are Being Sued For Deceiving Customers
- – This Popular Steakburger Chain Just Expanded to Two New States
- – McDonald's Has a New Summer Treat on the Menu