Restaurants Are Slipping In This One Important Quality Category, Customers Say
Last year was largely a year of take-out and delivery as far as restaurant businesses were concerned, courtesy of the unchecked COVID-19 pandemic. But as vaccines became widely available across the United States and on-site dining made a comeback, diners returned to restaurants in droves.
According to Nation's Restaurant News, there has been consistent sales growth across the restaurant industry for five consecutive months, with the sector as a whole seeing the strongest increase in sales in more than three years.
However, customers have returned to severely understaffed restaurants. Across the industry, from all types and levels of establishment, fast food to fine dining, casual restaurants to resorts, the American food service industry is experiencing a marked and ongoing labor shortage. And with a lack of staff comes a problem with cleanliness.
Recent data has found a precipitous 13% drop in customer satisfaction with levels of cleanliness in full-service restaurants. Customers have expressed dissatisfaction with the state of everything from restaurant bathrooms, tables and floors, as well as high-touch items like cutlery and tableware. The drop has been even more drastic (16%) for limited-service restaurants, including many national fast-food chains, where reports of unclean bathrooms and dining areas have been compounded by complaints of trash and food waste left uncollected about the stores.
While sympathetic of their customers' concerns, many restaurant owners, managers, and employees are also desperate for understanding from patrons as they are spread thin amid the labor crisis. "Please go in with the understanding that we are all understaffed," said Denver-based Bridge & Tunnel Restaurant Group owner Joshua Pollack.
On the other hand, data showed that customer satisfaction with food and service was much higher. Over 50% of food mentions on review sites and social media were positive, which presented a 6.5% increase compared to the same time period in 2019. Satisfaction with restaurant service has also improved by 4.8%.
For more, check out:
- 7 Fan-Favorite Menu Items Restaurant Chains Are Bringing Back Right Now
- Taco Bell Is Opening This Revolutionary New Restaurant
- The 10 Best Date Night Restaurants in America, Data Shows
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 8 Bizarre Rules Taco Bell Employees Have to Follow
- – Two Popular Burger Chains Are Now Serving This New Meaty Menu
- – Chick-fil-A Just Added a New Sweet Treat To the Menu
- – We Tried 7 Fast-Food Fries & These Are the Best!
- – 8 Major Restaurant Chains With a Bad Reputation
- – America's Top Three Burger Chains Are Being Sued For Deceiving Customers
- – This Popular Steakburger Chain Just Expanded to Two New States
- – McDonald's Has a New Summer Treat on the Menu