These Popular Hot Dog and Burger Buns Are Being Recalled Nationwide, FDA Says
Heads up, cookout fans! If you've purchased a particular brand of buns anywhere around the country in recent days, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says you could be at risk for exposure to Salmonella or Listeria. Here's the bread brand to look out for, plus how to tell if your bag needs to go.
This week, the FDA announced that Hostess was voluntarily recalling two prominent products, Hostess Soft White Hot Dug Buns and Hostess Soft White Hamburger Buns. The recall was initiated after routine monitoring at the brand's co-manufacturer revealed the potential presence of Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
Thirty-two batches of the Hostess Soft White Hamburger Buns were included in the recall, all which bear the item UPC number 888109110987. Best By Dates for the Soft White Hamburger Buns in question are 8/13/2021 through 10/4/2021.
Meanwhile, 16 batches of the Hostess Soft White Hot Dog Buns were recalled, with item UPC number 888109110970. Best By Dates for the recalled hot dog buns are listed as 8/13/2021 through 09/30/2021.
The brand says these buns were sold "to distributors, convenience stores, and other retail stores throughout the United States."
Hostess states that to date, they have received no reports of illness related to the possible contamination. However, they urge consumers who purchased the recalled buns to immediately dispose of them or return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Within the announcement, Hostess advises that symptoms of Listeria monocytogenes may include high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and pregnancy complications. They note that Salmonella, on the other hand, may lead to diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain or more severe illnesses after the organism's entry into the blood stream.
Get the Eat This, Not That! newsletter for grocery news you need, and keep reading:
More content from Groceries
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots