If You Just Bought This Chocolate Candy, Throw It Out, FDA Says
If there's an abundance of sweets in your house right now, there's probably a good chance they have something to do with an Easter basket. However, if you've got little ones with food allergies, you need to know that a popular Midwestern retailer is voluntarily recalling their own chocolate candy. The reason? There's a common allergen in the candy that the maker failed to list on the label.
Dave's Supermarkets is a brand that's well known around Cleveland and Akron, Ohio. During a routine inspection of the store's own brand of Chocolate Malted Milk Balls and Chocolate Malt Balls, the Food & Drug Administration found an ingredient that was not listed on the label: wheat.
How do you know if your chocolate candy from Dave's Supermarket was affected? The FDA's website explains that the candies came in two packages: one is a 4.5-ounce clam pack container labeled "Chocolate Malt Balls" with a Dave's Supermarket label. The other came in bulk, packaged in a three-pound bag, labeled "Chocolate Malted Milk Balls Bulk" with a b.a. Sweetie Candy Company label.
The FDA's website warns: "[P]eople who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to wheat run the risk of a serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume this product. Individuals exhibiting signs or symptoms of food-borne illness or allergies should contact a physician immediately."
They add that customers with a wheat allergy or sensitivity who have bought the malted chocolate balls should dispose of it or return it to b.a. Sweetie Candy Company.
If you're careful about reading the ingredients on the foods you serve to your family, well done. Unfortunately, this news about the recalled chocolate malted balls is a reminder that it's also important to keep in mind that labels don't always reveal everything you need to know. In fact, check out an important reason it may be time to curb sugar for your kids: it has to do with their brain health.
More content from Groceries
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots