McDonald's Sales Are Soaring Thanks to These Two Launches
McDonald's was already having a good year, especially when compared to the sales slump it experienced in the spring of 2020. According to CNBC, the fast-food giant was already beating analysts' sales expectations earlier this year, with first quarter revenue $90 million higher than expected, which drove the company's stock price up to $1.92 per share vs. its price of $1.47 just a year earlier.
Those positive sales numbers were almost entirely attributable to the lessening pandemic and to more and more customers embracing fast-food delivery and streamlined app-based ordering. But the sales bump the chain enjoyed in the second quarter of 2021 can largely be attributed to two new menu offerings that were very popular with customers.
The first pillar of McDonald's recent success was its foray into the Chicken Sandwich Wars. The chain was almost late to the party, lagging behind competitors like Popeyes and Chick-fil-A in the category of premium chicken sandwiches. It needed something that would rise above the level of McChicken and usher in a new era of popularity. And it seems that McDonald's nailed this mission with the release of Crispy Chicken, Chicken Deluxe, and Spicy Crispy Chicken—its trifecta of new sandwiches which managed to increase foot traffic at its locations by 19% on launch day alone.
The second factor driving the chain's recent growth was its mega-successful spring collaboration with pop superstars BTS. The limited-time BTS meal, the latest in line of celeb-endorsed meals, created another sudden spike in customer traffic and outpaced the success of last year's Travis Scott meal just one week after launch. Taking note of this strategy, McDonald's already has its next celeb meal lined up for August.
The company also said bigger order sizes and higher menu prices, as well as increases in delivery and digital orders, helped its domestic business grow in the quarter, according to CNN. The company recently rolled out its first nationwide rewards program that includes free food, to keep the digital momentum going.
For more, check out:
- McDonald's CEO Says "It's Not Up to Me" to Make Menu Healthier
- The #1 Worst Drink You Should Never Order at McDonald's
- McDonald's Is Releasing These Nostalgic Happy Meal Toys From the '90s
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 8 Bizarre Rules Taco Bell Employees Have to Follow
- – Two Popular Burger Chains Are Now Serving This New Meaty Menu
- – Chick-fil-A Just Added a New Sweet Treat To the Menu
- – We Tried 7 Fast-Food Fries & These Are the Best!
- – 8 Major Restaurant Chains With a Bad Reputation
- – America's Top Three Burger Chains Are Being Sued For Deceiving Customers
- – This Popular Steakburger Chain Just Expanded to Two New States
- – McDonald's Has a New Summer Treat on the Menu