Here's How New Items End Up On the McDonald's Menu, According to the CEO
The President and Chief Executive Officer of McDonald's Chris Kempczinski has held his current position for a little more than two years now, though he has been a top-level executive with the chain since 2015. Yet despite a multi-year run as a decision-maker with the brand, Kempczinski is humble about his impact on arguably the most important aspect of the chain's operation: the McDonald's menu.
Kempczinski told The David Rubenstein Show on Bloomberg that the menu development credit belongs to the Menu Team, assembled by the McDonald's Corporation. The team works closely with franchisees and customers through the process of innovating on and testing potential new menu items, he said.
However, the CEO says he'll chime in from time to time, and voice his culinary opinion. "Occasionally, I might just say 'Hey, I might be interested in trying that," he said. When Rubenstein followed with the question: "But if you don't like it, what happens?" the CEO laughed and replied: "Nothing, ordinarily, other than just 'It's interesting that you didn't like it.'"
But there is one aspect of the menu where Kempczinski does execute his top-level authority, and that's in the protection of certain core McDonald's menu classics. "Where I will and do exercise CEO authority is around our core menu," Kempczinski said. "You can't touch the Big Mac, you can't touch the Quarter Pounder, you can't touch the fries, you can't the hamburger or cheeseburger without my approval."
All the other menu bells and whistles, however, are fair game. "But outside of the core menu, you have a lot of latitude, and certainly on new items," he added.
According to Thrillist, new fast-food menu items can take anywhere from a few months to several years to fully develop and then release. So it certainly sounds like each and every addition is scrutinized, whether or not the #1 man of the brand is involved.
For more, check out:
- McDonald's Sales Are Soaring Thanks to These Two Launches
- McDonald's Major New Customer Perk Is Rolling Out Nationwide
- The #1 Healthiest Order at McDonald's, According to a Nutritionist
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 8 Bizarre Rules Taco Bell Employees Have to Follow
- – Two Popular Burger Chains Are Now Serving This New Meaty Menu
- – Chick-fil-A Just Added a New Sweet Treat To the Menu
- – We Tried 7 Fast-Food Fries & These Are the Best!
- – 8 Major Restaurant Chains With a Bad Reputation
- – America's Top Three Burger Chains Are Being Sued For Deceiving Customers
- – This Popular Steakburger Chain Just Expanded to Two New States
- – McDonald's Has a New Summer Treat on the Menu