If You Bought This Ground Turkey, Throw It Out Now, FSIS Says
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) has issued a public health alert over more than 211,000 pounds of ground turkey products linked to Salmonella illness following a multistate outbreak.
The ground turkey products were produced between Dec. 18 and Dec. 29, 2020, by Pennsylvania company Plainville Brands, LLC. A recall was not issued because "it is believed that the products are no longer available for consumers to purchase." However, they may still be frozen in your freezer.
Of 28 confirmed Salmonella cases since Dec. 28, 2020, at least one individual has identified eating ground turkey, and an unopened package collected from their home tested positive for the bacteria. "Evidence collected to date does not link all illnesses to this establishment," the alert says. "Based on the continuing investigation, additional product from other establishments may be involved."
The affected products include 1- and 3-pound packages of ground turkey under the names Nature's Promise, Plainville Farms, and Wegman. They were sold at retail locations across the country. The FSIS urges consumers not to eat any of the products and instead throw them away or return them to the point of purchase. To view the full list of impacted products, click here.
Symptoms of Salmonella infection may include diarrhea, fever, and stomach cramping. In older adults, infants, and those with compromised immune systems, an infection can develop into a severe illness. Ensuring that you cook meat to the right internal temperature (in this case, at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit) can help prevent foodborne illnesses, according to the FSIS.
For more on how to keep your food and kitchen safe, here are the 50 Best Kitchen Cleaning Tips Right Now. And to get all of the latest grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – The Best Yogurt To Lower Your Cholesterol, Dietitians Say
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again