Drake Loves This Chicken Chain So Much He Just Bought a Stake In It
Celebrity involvement with fast-food brands traditionally takes the form of paid endorsements and ad appearances, but some famous names have decided to take their love of a restaurant chain further and become part of the ownership team. Such is the case with rap superstar Drake, who has made an undisclosed but apparently major investment in the rapidly expanding fast-food chain Dave's Hot Chicken, according to Bloomberg.
Drake's investment in the company makes him one of its largest shareholders, though he still remains only a minority stakeholder at less than 50%.
"I tried the food and it was amazing," the rapper said in a statement. "After meeting the founders and hearing their story, I jumped at the opportunity to invest."
The chain was bootstrapped by friends Dave Kopushyan, Arman Oganesyan, and Tommy and Gary Rubenyan, who grew it from "a tiny stand in an East Hollywood parking lot," to its current two dozen locations on the West Coast. The brand is now planing for major growth and plans to add more than two dozen restaurants to its footprint by the end of the year. With the expansion of stores, the chain will also break ground in new geographic areas, including Houston, Chicago, and other new markets.
The Dave's Hot Chicken menu is refreshingly simple, with chicken tenders and chicken sliders offered as entrée options and with sides currently limited to kale, mac and cheese, fries, and cheese fries. The spiciness (or "Heat Level") of the chicken can be customized from no spice to lite mild, mild, medium, hot, extra hot, or reaper (the level of heat you'll have a hard time surviving).
Alongside Drake, other notable investors in the chain include actor Samuel L. Jackson and the chairman of the Boston Red Sox, Tom Werner. Dave's Hot Chicken is led by the same team behind successful chains like Blaze Pizza and Wetzel's Pretzels.
For more, check out:
- This Is The #1 Most Popular Order at Every Fast-Food Chain
- One of America's Most Popular Chicken Chains Is Seeing an Unprecedented Surge In Traffic
- This National Fried Chicken Chain Is Getting a Major Brand Refresh
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 8 Bizarre Rules Taco Bell Employees Have to Follow
- – Two Popular Burger Chains Are Now Serving This New Meaty Menu
- – Chick-fil-A Just Added a New Sweet Treat To the Menu
- – We Tried 7 Fast-Food Fries & These Are the Best!
- – 8 Major Restaurant Chains With a Bad Reputation
- – America's Top Three Burger Chains Are Being Sued For Deceiving Customers
- – This Popular Steakburger Chain Just Expanded to Two New States
- – McDonald's Has a New Summer Treat on the Menu