I'm a Doctor and This Ages Your Skin Terribly
As a board-certified dermatologist, I am asked all the time: How can I look younger? I say the first thing to do is stop making yourself look older. The dreaded triple threat—Sun, Smoking, and Sugar—are some of our biggest culprits for visible signs of aging and cellular damage.
- As far as foods are concerned, the sugar sag or glycation is a major ager. All forms of sugar are highly inflammatory and can literally be seen on your face! (It can also be a contributor to acne breakouts of conditions including rosacea, eczema or psoriasis.)
- Lectins can also be aging or inflammatory, which are hidden even in foods we consider healthy, like oatmeal.
- Blue light is a newer less studied form of aging and damage, but there is informed research that indicates it is a key factor over time as well.
Read on to learn about the most dangerous forms of these threats, and how you can turn back the clock. And to ensure your health and the health of others, don't miss these Sure Signs You May Have Already Had COVID.
…in our bloodstream particularly attach to proteins which produce free radicals [AGE] causing damages including shortening our telomeres, making our cells more resistant to repair and distorting dermal vasculature. They break down our collagen fibers and slow the process of collagen building, both leaving their mark and contributing to advanced signs of aging.
…can cause atopic reactions including skin rash, inflammation are common outcomes and they are a type of protein that can also reduce nutrient absorption in our foods, so those vitamins and minerals or antioxidant rich greens skin benefits we are counting on for cellular support are cancelled out.
…from the sun cause free radical damage, photo aging, erratic melanin production, hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation, dry scaly patches, enlarged pores, actinic keratosis and various types of lines and wrinkles.
…penetrates skin and causes cellular damage that can speed up the aging process. Even short bursts of exposure under 60 minutes can trigger changes that lead to both cellular aging and visual aging.
As Far as Smoking…
…detrimental health risks are involved but specifically for skin it reduces oxygen to the cells, dries and damages skin cells, pursing contributes to lines and wrinkles around the mouth and even eyes. It affects elasticity, texture, structure, repair functions, pore size and even color. Many of the visible signs can be somewhat mitigated or improved but often cellular damages leading to advanced signs of aging over time are simply not fully reversible even with laser treatments technologies and topicals.
What Should You do to Prevent These Things from Aging Your Face?
Sunscreen 365—anywhere above or below the towel needs to be covered daily even when working from home. Outside and in more intensive sun, double down on sunscreen every 90 minutes with 30 SPF and add a hat or sun protective clothing.
Eliminate most or all simple sugars from your diet:
- Focus on natural fruit sugars in the diet but limited amounts
- Look for low glycemic foods
- Introduce a natural, raw high percentage dark chocolate as a treat over other sugary sweets
- Know where to find hidden sugars and read labels
- Limit alcohol. Change out Vodka made from potatoes or high sugar wine for a Vodka made from grapes [like Ciroc] with a low concentration and never add sugared mixers.
Look for a protective screen guard for your technology. Check settings on devices for safety and blue light blockage, when possible.
Don't even pick up a cigarette let alone a pack! And to get through this pandemic at your healthiest, don't miss these 35 Places You're Most Likely to Catch COVID.
More content from ETNT Health
- – Signs Your Abdominal Fat is "Dangerous"
- – Surprising Effects of Taking Supplements Every Day, Says Physician
- – Here's How to Lose Belly Fat After 50, Say Physicians
- – 5 Ways to Stop Dementia, According to Experts
- – Signs You Have Fibromyalgia Like Morgan Freeman
- – If You Spot This in Your Mouth, You're at Risk for Heart Attack, Says Study
- – Here's How to Lower Your Blood Pressure "Instantly"
- – I'm a Virus Expert and Warn You Don't Go Here Now