Members Say There Are Problems With Costco's Water
Most Costco members instantly recognize the warehouse chain's exclusive Kirkland brand. Yet despite its seemingly vast selection of beloved items (like peanut butter and wine), the brand's water has become a big topic of concern among members.
Earlier this year, the chain experienced shortages of water that resulted in product limits and was allowing members to buy no more than five cases of any line of water. Months later, Kirkland water has still been difficult to find due to high demand, and when it is, it's more expensive.
"Has anyone else noticed that the price for the 40 count went up from $2.99 to $3.19?" one Reddit user and Costco shopper asked about the Kirkland brand pack of water bottles on the social media platform recently. While noting the cost for bottled water, the user added that they wanted to understand the reasoning behind the sudden price increase.
One response to the post blamed inflation for the rising costs of water. Costco CFO Richard Galanti recently discussed this and the issue of shipping delays that have backed up water and other items in a Quarter 4 earnings call. The problems pushed Costco to rent three shipping vessels to help complete deliveries on time, he said.
But the short supply and price hike are not the only challenges that Costco shoppers are currently facing when it comes to this item.
Another Reddit user @Liquidretro recently detailed an unpleasant effect of purchasing a case of Kirkland water, describing the water as having a smell like "fish tank water, or lake water." The user even reported the issue to the manufacturer.
Another Reddit user from the same thread agreed and commented that they also noticed the smell. "I have often bought their bottled water, so I know [it] doesn't usually taste that way," they said.
Eat This, Not That! has reached out to Costco for a statement on the Kirkland brand's water issues, but has not yet received a response.
For more info about what's happening at the Costco in your neighborhood, read these next:
- Costco's CFO Says 25 New Warehouses are Opening Next Year
- The Healthiest Baked Goods at Costco, Says Dietitian
- These Costco Items Continue to Face Shortages and Purchase Limits
- Costco Is Making Changes to Its Unpopular App
And to get all the latest Costco news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – The Best Yogurt To Lower Your Cholesterol, Dietitians Say
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again