Drinking This for Just 10 Days Can Improve Your Health, Says New Study
We know: it's easy to overthink juice, with so much discussion about the amount of sugar in it. But a new study has just highlighted one powerful juice for your cardiovascular health and brain function. Curiously, it has to do with the way our mouths process a particular chemical… and best of all, it comes from a plant that turns up on a lot of tables this time of year.
Now, in a new study at the U.K.'s University of Exeter, a team of physiology researchers examined 26 participants who were between 70 and 80 years old. For 10 days, the participants drank beet juice, which is naturally rich in chemicals as nitrates, as well as a nitrate-rich placebo juice, twice a day.
Previous research has shown that an important reason our cardiovascular health and cognitive function decline over time has to do with a decreased capacity for our body to turn nitrate into nitric oxide. When the body's working just right, these chemicals start to undergo a process that begins right inside our mouths to help the blood vessels dilate to promote healthy blood flow to the heart and brain.
What this study found is that beet juice significantly increased the levels of bacteria associated with good vascular and cognitive health, and lowered the levels of bacteria that are known to cause inflammation (and therefore, disease as we age).
"Our findings suggest that adding nitrate-rich foods to the diet—in this case via beetroot juice—for just ten days can substantially alter the oral microbiome (mix of bacteria) for the better," Lead researcher Professor Anni Vanhatalo explained. "Maintaining this healthy oral microbiome in the long-term might slow down the negative vascular and cognitive changes associated with aging."
This is all the more reason to eat your beets and even pickle those eggs this spring. Check out our 19 Boss Beet Recipes.
And sign up for the Eat This, Not That! newsletter for the latest nutrition news dropped in your inbox each day.
More content from Healthy Eating
- – This Eating Habit Can Significantly Improve Your Gut Health, Says New Study
- – The #1 Worst Breakfast Habit for High Cholesterol, Says Dietitian
- – This Popular Grocery Item Is Linked to Foodborne Illness, Says New Study
- – 8 Eating Habits People with Healthy Cholesterol Swear By
- – 4 Meat Companies With the Worst Food Quality Practices
- – The #1 Best Supplement for Preventing and Treating Arthritis, New Study Suggests
- – Secret Side Effects of Eating Cucumbers, Says Science
- – The #1 Worst Milk That Makes Your Brain Age Faster, Says New Study