Almost 5,000 Pounds of Beef Are Being Recalled, FSIS Says
JBS USA Food Company is recalling 4,860 pounds of beef products because they could be contaminated with E. coli, according to an announcement from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS).
The frozen, boneless beef products were imported from Australia and shipped to distributors in New York and Pennsylvania on or around Nov. 10, 2020. While there have been no illnesses linked to the beef thus far, the department "is concerned that some product may be frozen and in cold storage at distributor or further processor locations." (Related: The 7 Healthiest Foods to Eat Right Now)
FSIS says it collected a routine sample that tested positive for the presence of E. coli, promoting the recall. It is advising anyone with raw meat products to safely prepare them. This means cooking whole beef cuts to a temperature of 145-degrees Fahrenheit with a 3-minute rest time and ground beef to 160-degrees Fahrenheit. They also suggest investing in a food thermometer, which measures internal temperature to make sure the right amount of heat is used.
Symptoms of an E. coli infection include abdominal cramps, dehydration, and diarrhea. They can develop between two and eight days after exposure. Older adults or kids younger than 5 years old are at a greater risk of developing a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome, which includes symptoms like bruising easily and decreased urine output.
Another recall is also affecting items at your local supermarket—These Popular Trader Joe's Chips Are Being Recalled, FDA Says. To get all of the latest news on grocery products involved in recalls delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – The Best Yogurt To Lower Your Cholesterol, Dietitians Say
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again