These 4 Popular Bagged Salads Were Just Recalled in 10 States
It was one of those rare, last-minute recalls, when a major produce brand issued an important announcement just ahead of the weekend. Bagged salads sold at a few of the nation's largest grocery chains have been recalled over food safety concerns. We've got the details you need.
On October 29 via the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Dole Fresh Vegetables announced a voluntary recall on a limited number of bagged garden salad products containing a blend of iceberg lettuce, carrots, and red cabbage.
The company said the salad recall was executed after authorities discovered "a single sample of garden salad which yielded a positive result for Listeria monocytogenes in a random sample test conducted by the Department of Agriculture in Georgia." They suggest Listeria may cause serious illness especially in immunocompromised individuals, and may present as fever, headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, or possible other symptoms.
They report the "Best If Used By" date for all these salad brands on recall was 10-25-2021 and therefore should no longer be stocked on shelves. Dole states: "Consumers who have any remaining product with these Lot codes, UPC codes and Best if Used By dates should not consume it, but rather discard it. Retailers and consumers with questions may call the Dole Consumer Center at 1-800-356-3111, which is open 24 hours a day."
Keep reading for the well known bagged salads included in this recall, and the list of states that received them. Also, don't miss At Least 21 People Are Sick After Eating This Trader Joe's Item, CDC Says.
Dole Garden Salad
Dole recalled their own name brand garden salad in a 24-ounce bag, with lot codes N28205A or N28205B and UPC code 0-71430-01136-2.
Sign up for the Eat This, Not That! newsletter for breaking grocery news you need.
Kroger Brand Classic Garden Salad
Kroger's classic garden salad was recalled in the 12-ounce package, with lot codes N28211A or N28211B and UPC code 0-11110-91036-3.
Marketside Classic Iceberg Salad
Twenty-four-ounce bags of this salad by Marketside, a brand recognizable from Walmart and other major chains, were included in this recall with lot numbers N28205A or N28205B and UPC code 6-81131-32895-1.
Salad Classics Garden Salad
Salad Classics 12-ounce garden salad bags were recalled, bearing lot numbers N28211A or N28211B and UPC code 6-88267-18443-7.
States where this salad recall is effective:
Dole stated that the recalled salad products had been distributed in the following U.S. states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia.
While you were trick-or-treating, we were tracking food trends—catch up here:
- 8 New Grocery Shortages Shoppers Have Reported This Week
- One Major Effect Bananas Have on Your Gut, Says Science
- The 6 Best Foods to Improve Your Gut Health and Prevent Diabetes, Biochemist Says
- Costco Shoppers Are Already Raving About These 7 Holiday Groceries
- McDonald's Just Revealed How Much It's Raising Its Prices This Year
More content from Groceries
- – The Best Yogurt To Lower Your Cholesterol, Dietitians Say
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again