A Shortage of This Essential Baby Food Is Getting Worse
There have been no shortages of shortages at the grocery store in the last two years, with items ranging from toilet paper to pasta disappearing. Parents of young children know all too well about one shortage, though, and unfortunately, new reports show it isn't going to be resolved anytime soon.
Thanks to continued supply chain problems and a massive recall, the current supply of baby formula is unable to meet demand and grocery store shelves remain bare. Data published by USA Today shows that around 30% of popular brands at over 11,000 stores are sold out and stores are placing limits on how much consumers can buy.
Supply has been affected for a while now, even with manufacturers working at full capacity, according to CNN. Walgreens has been limiting customers to three products per transaction to help keep supply up. Despite this, demand is just too high and combined with a recall and the removal of some more from shelves, parents have been in a panic.
Abbott Nutrition voluntarily recalled some of its Similac, Alimentum, and EleCare formulas in February after it was discovered that they could be contaminated with bacteria like Salmonella and Cronobacter, a type that can live in powdered teas, milk, and more. The formulas were manufactured in a facility in Michigan, but were sold all across the country. Three infant illnesses and one death were connected to the recall.
Both Alimentum and EleCare are made especially for infants who are sensitive to lactose. EleCare specifically is given to older children who may have severe food allergies, gastrointestinal disorders, or other conditions.
Some parents have taken to social media to help others during this baby formula shortage by donating unopened products to those who need them. This isn't the only shortage you will see at the grocery store right now. These Two Easter Items Won't Be On Grocery Shelves This Year.
More content from Groceries
- – The Best Yogurt To Lower Your Cholesterol, Dietitians Say
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again