This Mega Grocery Chain Is Opening Almost 30 New Locations
The first Amazon Fresh store opened in Los Angeles in September 2020. The company has added 11 more locations since then—and almost 30 more are on the way!
The new stores will feature digital price tags; smart Dash carts, which track groceries as customers put them inside; and Ask Alexa stations, where patrons can ask for help. The chain is also testing the "Just Walk Out" technology, which allows shoppers to bypass checkout, according to Bloomberg. Compared to other grocery stores, prices at Amazon Fresh are relatively low. (Related: Grocery Shortages To Expect in 2021, According to Experts)
This is far from Amazon's first giant step into the supermarket business. The company acquired Whole Foods in 2017, and it has continued to expand its Amazon Go and Amazon Fresh stores amid the pandemic. It added a touchless payment method with a palm-reader to an Amazon Go in Seattle in October of last year.
"As with all things at Amazon, we innovate on behalf of our customers across our grocery businesses," Jeff Helbling, vice president of Amazon Fresh, said in a statement to Bloomberg. "We know customers care about low prices, convenience, and great selection in their grocer, and we believe we offer that as well as a seamless online to in-store grocery shopping experience."
Though Amazon Fresh still has a ways to go until it has as many locations as top brick-and-mortar retailers like Walmart and Costco, its continued expansion is something to watch. In the meantime, here are the 8 Best Groceries to Buy at Costco Right Now.
To get all of the latest grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – The Best Yogurt To Lower Your Cholesterol, Dietitians Say
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again