This is the Most Underrated Produce at the Grocery Store
Some of the best salad ingredients have nothing to do with the lettuce, but picking the right type of greens can transform your bowl from boring and dull to appetizing and delicious. This is why the most underrated produce at the grocery store lies in this section. And people are starting to crave romaine in more than just Caesar salads!
Since the U.S. Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service started collecting data in 1985, sales of romaine and other leaf lettuce varieties have been on the rise, according to Bloomberg. Although iceberg, butterhead, Bibb, and other types of lettuce have historically been more popular than romaine, 2017 marked a turning point. The availability of head lettuces like iceberg and lettuce leaves like romaine was nearly equal at grocers that year. (These and other items could be flying off shelves soon — here are the 8 Grocery Items That May Soon Be in Short Supply.)
Since then, the amount of romaine and other lettuce leaves have stayed on track with head lettuces. In 2018, their availability was only 0.1 pounds in retail weight apart, and in 2019, it was 0.3 pounds off.
Why are more people using the most underrated produce at the grocery store? Besides the crisp and refreshing bite it adds to foods, romaine is full of folic acid, vitamins A and K, as well as potassium and folate. Its stronger and longer leaves also make romaine great for meals like lettuce wraps, because they won't fall apart as you eat.
Need some ideas for making your next meal an exciting mix of nutrients, greens, vegetables, and more? Here are 35+ Healthy Salad Recipes. You can also pair the most underrated product at the grocery store with the most underrated salad toppings for a fresh and intriguing dish.
For more grocery news delivered straight to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots
- – 5 Freezer Aisle Brands to Stay Away From Right Now