This Grocery Chain's Sales are Skyrocketing Right Now
With the number of people grocery shopping more during the first half of this year, it's no surprise that many grocery store chains are seeing high profits. Although there are fewer people shopping, they are still buying products in bulk. And with restaurants slowly reopening, many people are still eating at home.
One supermarket that saw sales skyrocket because of the coronavirus is Kroger. There are over 2,700 locations across 36 states, which is the most of any grocery retailer. Sales for the Cincinnati-based company topped $41.55 billion for the first quarter of the year, which ended on May 23. That was an 11.5% increase from the first quarter of 2019 when Kroger sales hit $37.25 billion, according to Supermarket News.
The company said they hired over 100,000 new associates, and gave out premium pay and bonuses during the pandemic that started in March. They say they also have offered free COVID-19 testing for employees and walk-up testing for the public at some of their locations. They recently announced they administered 82,199 tests in 15 states.
In the last three years, Kroger announced plans to overhaul its brand personalization and create a digital presence. It seems to be working (thanks to the pandemic), as digital sales were up 92% in Q1 of 2020. They promise to deliver groceries within an hour when you order online and pay a $9.95 delivery fee. The mobile app allows customers to track coupons, make a shopping list, and pay in-store using Kroger Pay. All you have to do is scan a QR code at checkout and add a credit or debit card.
Unfortunately, Kroger didn't make the top 13 cheapest grocery stores in America, according to a Dunnhumby study. One that did? Lidl, a smaller-footprint chain that just opened its 100th store in Suwanee, Georgia, and it may give you Aldi and Trader Joe's vibes. Read all about the relatively new grocery brand here!
More content from Groceries
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots
- – 5 Freezer Aisle Brands to Stay Away From Right Now