Grilled Salmon with Chermoula Chickpeas
Eating gluten-free is a lot easier if you replace gluttonous items with naturally gluten-free products—like chickpeas. Chickpeas are a great source of carbohydrates and protein. Plus, they're rich in dietary fiber. This grilled salmon with chickpeas is an easy weeknight meal you can whip up in less than 30 minutes and burst with flavor.
This recipe was provided by Kristine Kidd, author of Weeknight Gluten-Free.
Makes 2 servings
Wild salmon fillets, 2 (6 oz/185 g each)
Olive oil, 2 tablespoons, plus more as needed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lemon zest, finely grated from 1 lemon
Ground cumin, 1 teaspoon, plus more as needed
Red onion, 1/2, chopped
Smoked paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons
Ground coriander, 1 teaspoon
Cayenne pepper, 1/8 teaspoon
Chickpeas, 1 can (15 oz/470 g), rinsed and drained
Fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon
Fresh cilantro, 2 tablespoons minced
How To Make It
- Place the salmon on a plate. Brush with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, black pepper, lemon zest, and a little cumin.
- Prepare a grill for direct-heat cooking over high heat. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika, the 1 teaspoon cumin, coriander, and cayenne and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chickpeas and 3 tablespoons water and simmer until the beans are tender, stirring frequently—about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and mix in the lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and keep warm.
- Place the salmon skin side down on the grill, cover the grill and cook without turning until the salmon is just opaque in the center, about 8 minutes.
- Divide the salmon and chickpeas between 2 warmed plates. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve right away.
More content from Recipes
- – 15 Foods That Just Taste Better in the South
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 30 Healthy Stuffed Chicken Recipes to Make Tonight
- – 21 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)
- – Honey Butter Whiskey Scallops Recipe
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – Pork Chops with Maple Rye Glaze Recipe
- – 5 Best Recipes to Help Lower Blood Sugar, Says Dietitian