The Price of This Popular Grocery Staple is Finally Dropping
It's hard to forget a few months ago when it seemed like grocery shelves were all empty and prices for everyday food items were sky-high. Companies were shutting down production facilities because employees were getting sick, and stores couldn't stock shelves to keep up with the demand. All of this made grocery bills significantly higher.
Prices have dropped recently as the pandemic wares on, and one household staple keeps seeing its cost go down. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics recently released data that says the unadjusted percent change of the cost of eggs was almost 5% in June compared to May. This means they were 5% cheaper.
Those prices are down 5% from what they were in May compared to April. At the beginning of March, a dozen cost about $1. Then in April, it hit $3. For the last few weeks of May, it fluctuated from about $0.94 to $1.19, according to Food Dive.
Falling egg prices are nothing new. When the pandemic started and everyone cooked at home, they were few and far between at grocery stores because this protein source is one that sees its price change based on demand. The next time the price is supposed to get above $1.20 is in November and December of this year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Unless there is another push to keep fridges full before then, falling egg prices will still be around into the holiday season.
If you're looking to buy eggs at Costco, they recently announced that they are working toward selling 100% cage-free eggs. This is in line with their animal welfare and sustainability pledge.
And while eggs keep getting cheaper, some other items on your grocery list aren't. Meat is still expensive, as is fish. Although flour is back on shelves, it is still about 2% more than usual. Here are some other Popular Grocery Items that Keep Getting More Expensive.
More content from Groceries
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots
- – 5 Freezer Aisle Brands to Stay Away From Right Now