A Flavorful Falafel Pizza Recipe
With a simple can of chickpeas in your cupboard, you can make a fabulous falafel that goes really well on a pizza. This falafel pizza recipe is packed with all kinds of nutritious ingredients. This hearty falafel pizza is great for vegetarians who are looking for a filling pizza recipe that isn't just a slice of boring cheese pizza. So use up that Greek yogurt in your fridge and make this falafel pizza for dinner tonight.
Recipe development by Sue Hoss.
2/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 15-oz. can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
3/4 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
1 cup chopped cucumber
3/4 cup quartered grape tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
8 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 425 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a food processor combine 1/3 cup of the parsley, the green onions, 1 Tbsp. of the oil, the garlic, cumin, paprika, and cayenne. Pulse until finely chopped. Add chickpeas, panko, and egg; pulse until mixture is well-blended and chickpeas are the size of grains of rice (do not puree). Transfer mixture to the prepared baking sheet. Pat into a 10-inch round. Brush the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil over the top of the round. Bake about 20 minutes or until firm and golden around the edges.
- While the crust bakes, in a bowl toss together 3/4 cup of the cucumber, the tomatoes, bell pepper, the remaining 1/3 cup parsley, the mint, olives, and 1 Tbsp. of the lemon juice.
- In a small bowl stir together yogurt, the remaining 1/4 cup cucumber and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, the dill, and sesame oil.
- Let crust cool 5 minutes. Spread yogurt mixture over crust and top with vegetables. If desired, sprinkle with additional smoked paprika. Cut into wedges.
Sign up for our newsletter to get even more recipe ideas straight to your inbox.
More content from Recipes
- – 15 Foods That Just Taste Better in the South
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 21 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)
- – Honey Butter Whiskey Scallops Recipe
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – Pork Chops with Maple Rye Glaze Recipe
- – 5 Best Recipes to Help Lower Blood Sugar, Says Dietitian
- – Carrot Cake Energy Bites