This Adored Dessert Brand's New Name Was Just Revealed
Several brands have debuted new names this year because of racial stereotypes. Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Butterworth's, and Uncle Ben's are just a few. In September, B&G announced Cream of Wheat hot cereal will get a packaging overhaul to remove the image of a Black man wearing a chef's hat because of the offensive history of the character. But one ice cream treat is the newest brand to get a new name — Eskimo Pies is now Edy's Pie.
Back in June, Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream acknowledged the name of the treat can be seen as derogatory. "Eskimo" is a term for indigenous people in northern Canada, Greenland, eastern Siberia, and Alaska. However, it has been used by non-native people to mean a violent "eater of raw meat," CBS News says.
The company didn't give any clues to what the new name would be until now. Edy's Pie pays tribute to one of the company's founders, candymaker Joseph Edy, according to Food Dive. He teamed up with William Dreyer in 1928 to create Dreyer's and Edy's ice cream brands. (Speaking of iconic sweets, here are 15 Classic American Desserts That Deserve a Comeback.)
However, Christian Kent Nelson created the treat on a stick in 1920. It was the first chocolate-covered ice cream bar in the U.S. and was called an "I-Scream Bar," according to the Smithsonian Institution. The name changed in 1921 in a partnership with Russell C. Stover.
The packaging will also change, although there is no info about the design. Food Dive speculates that since there is already an Edy's brand, the ice cream bar could take on some of the same themes. The boy in a furry winter coat with rosy cheeks featured above the Eskimo Pie name most likely won't stay, similar to the removal of the Cream of Wheat figure. There is no word yet on when the remodeled treat will hit grocery store freezers.
To get grocery updates delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots
- – 5 Freezer Aisle Brands to Stay Away From Right Now