This Beloved Discount Store Is Adding More Fresh Foods Nationwide
With the rise in online grocery shopping leading to many new delivery and pickup options in addition to shopping in-store, there are many ways you can get groceries nowadays. If your goal is to save money, you will be able to find more grocery staples like produce and frozen food at one iconic discount store. Dollar General fresh foods will have more options, according to company leaders.
The fresh and frozen food products the store already has is the top sales driver. In a conference last week, Dollar General's CEO said they are expanding the healthier options to keep up with demand. The whole initiative is called DG Fresh, and at the end of 2019, about 5,500 stores were taking part. The company is increasing that to 14,000 stores by the end of 2020, according to Grocery Dive.
One way they are putting more perishable food in stores is through "Better For You" items. Brands like Nature Valley, Annie's, Kashi, and their own called Good&Smart are included and are already in 6,000 stores. However, 1,000 more will get shipments before the year is over. (Related: What Happens to Your Body When You Drink a Smoothie Every Day.)
Of the customers they are hoping to target with the produce and perishable food expansion, CEO Todd Vasos says, "We are seeing through our credit card data and what she's telling us … that she's made multiple trips over the last few months into the brand to buy her needs, she likes what she sees and she's continuing to want to shop us."
The year isn't over so not all locations will have things like fruit, deli meat, and dairy products yet. But, you can still place an order for pickup. Around 16,000 stores offer the service. Keep an eye out for Dollar General fresh foods in the future, though, to hopefully snag some great deals.
More content from Groceries
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots
- – 5 Freezer Aisle Brands to Stay Away From Right Now