Crock-Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
It sure is fun to make some enchiladas for dinner—especially if it means making our Red Chile Chicken Enchiladas or the Chicken Mole Enchiladas. But actually taking the time to fill and roll up the enchiladas can be tedious work for a quick weeknight dinner. So instead, why not make a chicken enchilada casserole right in the slow cooker?
The consistency of the casserole will vary based on how much enchilada sauce you put in. If you want a soupier consistency, I recommend adding in 28 ounces of enchilada sauce. However, if you want this meal to be a chunkier casserole dish, simply use the 20-ounce can listed below.
The taste of all of these ingredients is out of this world. The best part? You don't need a ton of spices to make it! Let the spices and flavor from the enchilada sauce do the work for you. However, if you prefer a spicier take on your chicken enchilada casserole, there's a small trick to give your enchiladas a kick. Simply add in 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper into the Crock-Pot before turning it on.
Makes 6 servings
1 20 oz. can enchilada sauce
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
1 15 oz. can sweet corn, drained
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup shredded taco cheese
10 tortillas, cut into strips
How to Make It
- Add the chicken into the slow cooker and season it with salt and pepper.
- Add in the black beans, sweet corn, bell peppers, and onion into the slow cooker as well.
- Pour the enchilada sauce on top. Mix together the ingredients to make sure they are evenly distributed.
- Turn the slow cooker on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.
- During the last hour, add in the tortilla strips, then sprinkle on the taco cheese.
Eat This! Tip
Freeze this meal and save it for later! Add the chicken, enchilada sauce, sweet corn, diced bell peppers, and onion into a gallon-size freezer bag. Make sure to defrost the meal in the refrigerator 24 hours before putting it into the slow cooker. Mix ingredients together so they are evenly distributed before turning on the slow cooker.
More content from Recipes
- – 30 Healthy Stuffed Chicken Recipes to Make Tonight
- – 21 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)
- – Honey Butter Whiskey Scallops Recipe
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – 15 Healthy Stir-Fry Recipes That Take 25 Minutes (or Less!)
- – 50 Best Vintage Southern Recipes
- – 16 Quick & Healthy Soup Recipes That Could Help You Lose Weight
- – 35+ Healthy Pasta Recipes for Weight Loss