Costco Is Selling This Cheaper Version of White Claw
Hard seltzers are exploding in popularity this year. So much so that brands like Coca-Cola are jumping on the bandwagon to produce their own version of the highly sought-after alcoholic beverage. And if you've been to Costco lately, you may have noticed the retailer hasn't missed the memo—they are now carrying their own house-made version. (Check out 8 Grocery Items That May Soon Be in Short Supply.)
According to Mashed, shoppers have spotted Kirkland-branded hard seltzers at Costco that look very much like White Claw's version. And not only do Costco's hard seltzers have a similar package to White Claw, but they also feature an array of four similar flavors: mango, grapefruit, cherry, and lime.
The best part? A 24-pack of 12 oz. cans retails for $17.99; which is a great deal compared to a 12-pack of White Claw selling for $14.99 at Walmart.
As far as nutrition goes, hard seltzers are comparable both in calories and in the amount of alcohol by volume—about 5%—to light beer. Their advantages is that unlike most beer, they are gluten-free. A can of Kirkland's hard seltzer will set you back 100 calories.
But how does the impostor stack up to the original in terms of flavor? Some Redditors are truly impressed. "It's delicious and the flavors are the strongest I have had from a hard seltzer. Little to no aftertaste and you cannot beat the price," said one. A Youtuber quoted by Mashed noted that the lime flavor actually tastes pretty similar to White Claw's, and that lime and grapefruit were his top two flavors.
In 2018, Costco decided to stop selling its Kirkland-branded light beer, after the product received poor reviews from consumers as well as the industry. However, they still have their successful line of house-made liquors like vodka and tequila.
Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest grocery news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Groceries
- – 15 Discontinued Fruit Sodas You'll Sadly Never See Again
- – This Rapidly-Expanding Grocery Chain Will Be Opening in 2 New States Soon
- – If You Bought This Meat at Walmart, Throw It Out Now
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots