Butternut Sage Carbonara
The combination of spicy pancetta, sage, and butternut squash is a delectable combination that's hard to resist. Not only is this butternut sage carbonara recipe paleo and vegetarian friendly, but it uses all kinds of whole foods that will leave you feeling satisfied after your meal. So skip those empty calories and opt for this delicious and healthy butternut sage carbonara instead.
8 oz. pancetta, diced
1/4 cup fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped
1 cup diced yellow onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup cashew milk
1 1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp ghee or coconut oil
3 pounds butternut squash
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
How to Make It
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 8 minutes, then add the sage leaves and continue cooing for 2 to 3 minutes, until the pancetta and sage and crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate, leaving the grease in the pot.
- Return the pot to the stove over medium heat, add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, until the garlic is toasted and the onion is translucent. Add the cashew milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend on high for 30 seconds. Add the egg yolks and blend again for 15 seconds.
- Remove the bulbous part of the squash and save it for another use. Peel the long, slender neck of the squash in half lengthwise so you have two pieces about 3 inches long.
- Use a spiralizer and the wider noodle blade, or a julienne slicer, to create noodles.
- Wipe out the pot and return in to the stove over medium heat. Add the ghee and butternut noodles and sauté for 5 minutes. Return the sauce to the pot and cook for 5 minutes longer, or until the noodles are crisp-tender.
- Divide among serving bowls and top with the crisp pancetta, sage and walnuts.
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter for even more easy, healthy recipes!
More content from Recipes
- – 15 Foods That Just Taste Better in the South
- – 30 Healthy Stuffed Chicken Recipes to Make Tonight
- – 10 Popular "Midwestern" Dishes That Aren't Actually From the Midwest
- – 21 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)
- – Honey Butter Whiskey Scallops Recipe
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – 35 Classic Southern Dishes Your Grandmother Used to Make
- – 13 Long-Lost Foods from the '70s That Will Stoke Your Nostalgia