Why This Plant-Based Burger Is Selling Out at a Canadian Fast Food Chain
Early this summer, A&W, a Canadian fast food chain, added the fully plant-based Beyond Meat burger patty to its menu, and people went crazy for it. Not only did the burger get rave reviews, but the chain literally ran out of it.
Susan Senecal, the chief executive officer of the A&W chain, said The Beyond Meat burgers sold out nationwide in only a few short weeks. "It became even more popular than we had expected," Senecal said in an interview from Vancouver. "Plant-based protein has gained in popularity, and it really is something people are very interested in."
This is no mushy, lifeless veggie burger either, which could explain its crazy popularity. Beyond Meat patties mimic the texture and flavor of meat, but they're loaded with peas, mung beans, and beets. With no meat sweats after eating it or super heavy cholesterol to worry about, it's not a bad sell—even for meat lovers. It's also worth noting that one patty has half of your daily dose of sodium, so keep that in mind if you're watching your sodium intake.
Surprisingly enough, the burger has run into a few issues with vegans because it is not technically prepared vegan at A&W. On the chain's FAQ section for the Beyond Meat Burger, the issue of whether or not the patty is vegan is cleared up in black and white—No. "The patty in our Beyond Meat Burger is 100% plant-based. However, we cook all our burger patties, including our beef patties, on the same grill, and our mayo is made with eggs," A&W says on their site.
But by the looks of their order numbers alone, it should come as no surprise that people are still obsessed with the Beyond Meat burger, whether they're vegan or not. The plant-based burgers are back in stock across Canada now as of Oct. 1, so if you didn't get your hands on it before, now's your chance to get in on a bite.
More content from Restaurants
- – This Popular Steakburger Chain Just Expanded to Two New States
- – This Is the Fastest Growing Burger Chain In America, New Data Shows
- – This Is America's Favorite Burger Chain, According to Customers
- – 4 Most Overpriced Burger Chains, According to Customers
- – America's Favorite Better Burger Chain Has a New Cheeseburger Deal for May
- – This Major Fast-Food Burger Chain Is Planning to Go 50% Meatless
- – 9 Burger Chains With the Best Quality Meat in America
- – 8 Secrets Red Lobster Doesn't Want You to Know