The #1 Best Supplement For a Longer Life, Say Dietitians
I can't tell you how many times I have had clients, friends, and family members ask for my tips on how to slow aging. A well-balanced diet, exercise, stress management, and adequate sleep are a collection of habits that serve the body well, but what about supplements that can possibly allow for a longer life?
While there is not a capsule on the market that stops time and slows aging, there are certain nutrients that may be able to slow the hands of time and even reverse some damage. Antioxidants are your best friends when it comes to a longer life, and here's why.
How antioxidants can help lengthen your life.
The term antioxidant is used to describe any vitamin, mineral, or compound that donates its electrons to balance out free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can wreak havoc in your body by damaging healthy cells.
In fact, free radical damage is thought to play a role in the pathogenesis of various health conditions, like cardiovascular disease, inflammatory disease, and cancer.
While there is much for scientists to learn on this topic, current research suggests antioxidants may be able to extend the lifespan of organisms by removing reactive oxygen species in the body that are thought to be responsible for aging.
The best antioxidant supplement for a longer life.
When you're shopping for an antioxidant supplement for a longer life, you're going to want to look for one that has various types of antioxidants, like NOW Super Antioxidants Veg Capsules.
By consuming a supplement that is rich in a variety of antioxidants, you may be able to improve your cellular health and reduce the risk of chronic conditions often seen with advanced age.
There are many antioxidants that you may already be familiar with, like Vitamins C and E, but there are a plethora of antioxidant compounds, including flavonoids and polyphenols, that are well documented in their protection against the development of cancer, neurodegenerative disease, and many other chronic health conditions.
Here are a few nutrients to look for in an antioxidant supplement:
- Catechins: these compounds are found in berries and cocoa, and are the primary nutrients in tea that provide its antioxidant capacity. Catechins are thought to have cancer-preventing properties and antimicrobial functions.
- Turmeric: curcumin is the bright yellow pigment that gives turmeric its recognizable color, and is thought to be the compound responsible for turmeric's antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Research suggests curcumin may be able to inhibit pathways in the body that slow down aging.
- Grape seed extract: the proanthocyanidins found in grape seed extra are thought to possess antiviral and antibacterial properties, as well as potent antioxidant capacity.
An antioxidant supplement is a great way to boost your intake of these important nutrients, but remember you can also consume them through food and drink as well. Fruits and vegetables, green tea, coffee, and spices, like turmeric, naturally contain concentrated amounts of antioxidants.
The best way to increase your longevity is to eat a varied diet that includes many different sources of antioxidants and take a daily supplement that helps boost your intake and fill any nutrition gaps that may exist.
For more healthy eating news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read this next:
More content from Healthy Eating
- – 4 Worst Baked Goods for Abdominal Fat
- – Surprising Side Effects of Eating Too Much Butter, Say Dietitians
- – 5 Best Habits to Lose Belly Fat and Actually Keep it Off, Says Science
- – This Eating Habit Can Significantly Improve Your Gut Health, Says New Study
- – One Major Effect of Postbiotics on Your Stomach, Says Science
- – The Best Diet To Lower Blood Pressure, Says Dietitian
- – Foods the Oldest Woman in America Eats Every Day to Live Until 114
- – The #1 Eating Habit to Avoid to Keep Your Brain Sharp, Says Dietitian