The 3 Best Ab Workout Tips For Long-Lasting Results
As a trainer, the most common question I receive is, "What's the secret to six-pack abs?" I've never been a believer in shortcuts, but I do know that when it comes to working your abdominals, it needs to be done correctly and consistently. This means working smarter, not harder (No one has time to do a million crunches a day!) by implementing small changes to your training and form to get the best, long-lasting results. The below ab workout tips are not only great for your fitness regimen, but will leave your core fired up all day long.
Read on to learn more about the best ab workout tips you'll want to put into action as soon as possible, and next, be sure to check out The 6 Best Exercises for Strong and Toned Arms in 2022, Trainer Says.
Start and/or end your workout with a plank
I start and end all of my workouts with planks, because this exercise is the best way to push your abs to the limit. For proper form, make sure your shoulders are over your elbows or hands, your feet are hip-width distance apart, your hips are in line with your shoulders, your heels are driving back, and you're exhaling out of your mouth. All of this will ensure you work every single muscle in your core—and entire body, for that matter!
Channel plank-like energy in every single pushup
Just like planks, pushups are a true tummy tightener—that is, when they're done correctly. To create plank-like energy during your pushups, your hips need to be in line with your shoulders for every rep—regardless if you're doing them with straight legs or on your knees. Trust me on this one—your abs will seriously thank you.
Bend your knees
The key to having your abdominals toasted by the time you get to any actual ab work is by continually bending your knees during standing positions. This allows you to stabilize and fire up your trunk, making it easier to work the right muscles in that standing exercise.
Are you craving killer abs and want to put these workout tips to good use? Try these:
More content from Mind + Body
- – Get Rid of a Big Belly and Slow Aging With This Kettlebell Routine
- – The #1 Workout for a Lean Body After 50, Trainer Says
- – Walk Off Belly Fat With These Secret Cardio Tricks, Trainer Says
- – "Walk And Talks" Will Be Your New Favorite Cardio Workout
- – This Non-Aerobic Exercise Is A Game-Changer For Weight Loss, New Study Says
- – Celebrity Couples Who Work Out Together To Stay Fit
- – This New Activewear Collection Is Here To Upgrade Your Workouts
- – The Best Body-Shaping Workout Every 40-Something Needs, Trainer Says